Wednesday, July 22, 2009

My new BFF...

I have always wanted to have boys - the more the merrier! However, what I wasn't expecting was the wild, crazy, messy, loud, world that comes with the boys. I always never planned to have them 11 months apart in age. There are moments when I feel like I have twins. As fun as tthat would be...it's not what I planned! (Ha!) To say that his summer started out a little rough would be an understatement. I expected my 2 little guys to just go with the "summer flow" that I was ready to enjoy. I figured that now that I'm a little more comfortable and relaxed as a mom, that they would just come along for the ride.

NOT!

After weeks of feeling like my home had become nothing more than a place of whining, fussing, and endless time out times (and that was just for me! ha!) I found something that has changed everything for everyone in my house.

Meet my new best friend...

This dry erase board has become invaluable. I dug this out of the garage. I think it was the one I had in college on my dorm door. (Remember those boards, girls!?!) Anyway, we have been using this at home as our daily list. Every morning after breakfast, the boys and I sit down and make a list of everything that we're going to do that day. As the day goes on , we mark things off the list. I don't write times down, just a list of activities. Here's today's list:
TV time (no more than 30 minutes)
Breakfast
Swim time
Snack
Playroom time - markers, playdough, trains
Lunch
Nap
Snack
TV time (30 minutes)
Daddy time (this is when Sean comes home and plays with the boys)
Playroom time - puzzles, trains
Dinner
Outside time -the boys ride their bikes and we walk behind them and get a walk in
Bath
Books/Prayer time/Bed

They love marking things off the list and seeing what is next. It's nothing earth shattering or special but it's made a HUGE difference in this house. My guys need structure and I have to give them some. It's been good for me too. I need some structure too. It's helped me have some balance and keeps me focused. I think they feel like they are in control a little too...whatever it takes! :)

1 comment:

Marc and Charity said...

Are you like a teacher or something? :)

What a great, fun idea. My girls LOVE to organize and even better- crossing things off a list!! They are their mother's daughters! So I shall try this! :)

Thanks!