Tuesday, May 5, 2009

"And the winner of this year's Elementary Teacher of the Year is..."

....ME!

I still can't believe it! Out of all the elementary teachers in my district and the AMAZING ladies that I was nominated with...I was chosen! The process was long but worth it ! :) I was nominated with 2 other outstanding teachers on my campus and we were put in a pool with all the other campuses. We had to write 3 essays and go meet with the selection committe for a one-on-one interview.

Here's the funny/ironic part...I was SO sick when I went in for my interview. It was the day before my birthday and I cried before leaving the house. I had swollen glands and a terrible sore throat. I had been in bed all day. I called my mom and cried as I was driving to the interview because I felt so bad and I knew that I was going to be a terrible interview. She told me to pray it through and let God handle the rest.

I guess Mom's really know what they are talking about!!! :)

I don't even remember what I said as an acceptance speech. Here's what I wish I had said:

To Sean - you made me a promise 11 years ago to support and stand by me. You have never waivered in your love and acceptance of me. You are the one who constantly saw things in me when I couldn't see them for myself. You have been my biggest cheerleader. You have sacrificed so much time so that I could work late, go to meetings/programs, conferences, etc...you are an amazing husband, a fantastic dad and a wonderful friend! I love you!

To my parents - I know I mentioned you guys last night but not like I really wanted to. I would've really cried! :) Thank you for always listening, encouraging, challenging, and inspiring me to be who God made me to be. You are both a huge inspiration to me in so many ways. I have always said that when I grow up, I want to have Dad's inner strength with a mix of his strong sense of self. I want Mom's wisdom with a dash of humor. You guys have been the best parents anyone could ask for. You have modeled for me more than I can put into words right now...I love you both!

To Zachary and Daniel - I have always loved children but when you came into my life, my heart opened up in ways I didn't know possible. You guys make me laugh and cry and scream...at the same times! (sometimes) :) You remind me that there is still innocence in the world and not to let cynicism settle in my heart. You keep me grounded in humility. When I think about you, I want to do more and be better. It is a honor being your mother. I love you both so much!

To my AMAZING team - I mentioned you guys too but there is so much more I could say. The best thing I can come up with right now is....thank you. Thank you for seeing in me something that made this evening possible. I love you each so much!

To my students - Over the past 11 years I figured out that I have taught about 260 students. There are some classes that I remember like it was yesterday and some that are becoming fuzzy memories. Thank you for letting me grow as a teacher, laughing at my goofy stories, working hard and trusting me. You guys are awesome! I am the teacher I am today because you guys push me to be better!

I think that's everyone...my head is spinning right now. I know God is going to teach me something from all this. I can't wait to figure out what it is. For now I'm going to go check on my boys, kiss their heads and snuggle up with my favorite guy. We're going to take a little time and thank God for this amazing night...and all that is to come! :)

1 comment:

Marc and Charity said...

LENDY! That is fantastic!! What an accomplishment! That is just awesome girl! Soak up every minute of it, it's worth celebrating!!!