Monday, July 16, 2007

What a week...I need a nap!

I have learned a very valuable lesson...there is a limit to the stamina of toddlers. Yes, I know...someone with a degree in elementary education should know something about that already. I guess it's one of those things that you read about but you have to experience it to really appreciate it. Here's how last week went...

MONDAY: cleaned house and did laundry because we were having people over for dinner. The evening went well and the boys played very well with the kids that they had never met before that evening. Bedtime: 9:00 pm
TUESDAY: caseworker from the foster agency comes to visit and the boys played with her. She is a very nice lady and is also very helpful. She's given lots of good advice to Sean and I. After dinner we all played outside and enjoyed the nice summer evening. Bedtime: 8:30 pmWEDNESDAY: the foster agency planned an outing for all the foster families at the local ice skating rink. We skated, had hot dogs and pizza and won door prizes. The boys LOVED the ice. Zachary did not want to go home. We invited their previous foster parents (Grammy and Papa) to come and play with us. That was the highlight of the evening. Bedtime 8:45 pm Zachary "skating" with Papa
Mommy and Daniel on the ice. He enjoyed it much more than this picture shows. He didn't want to stop to take the picture! :)
THURSDAY: the boys had a play date with our pastor's son after I picked them up from daycare. The three boys played and the moms visited and compared mommy notes. Kelly is awesome and I am so thankful that God sent her our way. It was good to get out of the house for a while. We hurried home because I had a meeting at church and it was up to daddy to get everyone bathed and fed. I bathed the boys while he cooked dinner. Bedtime 7:30 pm

FRIDAY: the CPS caseworker was scheduled to be at our house for a visit at 9:30 but she was delayed and didn't get to our house until 11:00. She stayed for about an hour and we had a great visit. The boys had lunch and then went down for naps. She and I visited for a long time about the boys case. Sean and I received and copy of the boys case history and we are required to read it and ask any questions. Let me tell you...that is not something that is easy to read. I wish I could go into details about their past but I can't. It is heartbreaking to read and know that they were exposed to some terrible things. It's also hard to read and know that their biological parents are so lost...emotionally and spiritually. We pray that they will one day find the One who can fill the empty spaces of their lives. The caseworker was able to give us a lot of background information that has helped to fill in the holes. It was an emotionally draining day.
Bedtime 8:00 pm

SATURDAY:
we went to a going-away party for some dear friends of ours that our going to Kenya as teachers. There is a group of us that have been friends since college. Some of us go all the way back to junior high/high school. We had a cookout and swam. The boys must
be part fish because they couldn't get enough of the water! We played and had a ton of fun!
Bedtime: 9:15 pm
SUNDAY: we went to church and lunch. After naps we went to some friend's house and swam in their pool. The boys had a great time and we had dinner with my parents. On the way home Zachary proceeded to throw up all the dinner, milk and pool water that was in his stomach. NICE! We get home and get him in the tub. He was fine and slept great. Bedtime 9:15 pm

To say that we are all a little worn out is an understatement. Everyone was promptly fed, bathed and in bed by 7:30 tonight and we are going to have a very quiet and calm week.

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

Whew! I'm exhausted just from reading everything you've been doing. Toddlers & preschoolers definitely have their limits. As do mommies!