I was doing some cleaning today and I started thinking about some of the things that are very different now that we have 2 toddlers living with us. Sean and I enjoyed 9 wonderful years of marriage before God brought the boys to us. To be quite honest, we had settled into a very comfortable lifestyle. We would go out to dinner on a weeknight just because we felt like it. We would sleep in on Saturdays and spend Sunday afternoons watching a movie or just taking a really long nap. Grocery shopping was done as needed and staying up until midnight with friends wasn't any big deal. Not anymore! It is amazing how things have changed so quickly! Here are just a few things that have changed...
1. LAUNDRY! Oh my goodness, the laundry. At the very tender age of 2 1/2 and 22 months, these little ones stink! They already have that sweaty, little boy smell. When I get them ready for their bath each night, I can smell their little feet and it's not always a good smell. :) The amount of clothes that these two go through in a week is amazing to me!
2. The DISHWASHER! Sean comments all the time that we are running the dishwasher everyday. When it was just the two of us, we would run it about twice a week. Not anymore! It seems like everytime I turn around I am cleaning up after a meal. Daniel is still in the stage of eating that involves experiencing food to the fullest...in his hair, on his clothes, squished between his fingers, wiped from ear to ear. You get the picture!
3. SLEEP! Or rather the lack of sleep. It amazes me that it doesn't matter what time they go to bed, they are up between 6:45-7:00 everyday. I don't know if I will ever get used to the sensation of waking up because I realize that Zachary is standing next to my side of the bed. He's very good at just waking me up...not Sean! We're going to have to work on that! :)
4. ENTERTAINMENT! I have lost count of the number of times that I have watched Cinderella, Aladdin, Cars, Baby Einstein, Sesame Street, Elmo, etc. I don't have to say anymore...what happened to the days of a great action/adventure movie or drama that makes you think about life? If it's not animated, I'm not watching it right now! :)
5. LOVE! Through all of these changes the biggest change is the love. I fall in love with my boys more and more everyday. They say things that amaze Sean and I and we just smile and shake our heads. At least once a day, I stop and just wonder out loud what I did to deserve two precious little boys. God continues to draw us together as a family and toward Him.
Praise God from whom all blessings flow!
2 comments:
hehehe, I hear ya on all of those! it's a major life change, but in a good way...most of the time!
I'm going on 4.5 years of limited sleep. I guess I'll sleep when they are in college! = ) I think it's a daddy thing to not hear the kids. In the middle of the night I can hear a crying baby, nurse the baby and come back to bed and Joel has NO idea anything ever happened.
Post a Comment