Last night was a big night in our house. Recently, Sean and I realized that the boys evening habits were not going as well as we would like. For as long as I can remember, our routine has been the same...bath, pajamas, brush teeth, read, sing and pray. Everyone would go to their beds and get one last little glass of something to drink. All of this would happen around 7:30-7:45. Sounds great and looks even better on paper.
Real life is not so great.
From the time their little heads would hit the pillows, it's nonstop trips to their room. Someone wants more to drink. Someone else wants just one more song to be sung. Someone needs to tell me a "secret". (That's Daniel's personal favorite!) It would take over an hour for them to settle down and go to sleep.
So last night, we decided it was time to change things up a bit. We sat down with the boys and explained what the new routine would be. They both understood and even repeated it back to us. When bedtime finally came, everything went fairly smoothly. It took a few minutes, but they settled down and went to sleep. As they were getting quiet, I went to both of them and gave them a kiss on their forehead and told them that we loved them. Hearing the chorus of "I love you too, mommy" was so sweet.
We've had one bedtime go well...here's to many more! :)
No comments:
Post a Comment