Sunday, March 29, 2009

A little love and logic go a long way...

It's been awhile...I know. I could blame it on many different things but I won't. I will say that AT&T and I are not getting along very well right now. Internet issues at home have been crazy. We won't dwell on that, though. Life these days is busy. Spring is trying so hard to break through the crazy Texas winter. Just when I thought it was finally spring...winter showed up again this weekend. There was actually snow flurries about 1 hour north of us. CRAZY! :) It's beautiful today and I'm thankful.


The biggest thing in our lives right now is our new family routine. After a lot of praying and talking, we decided the best thing for Daniel, right now, is to stay home with Sean. This past week was the first week they were together and it went really well. Sean was able to get some work done and Daniel got some great time with Daddy. I think they both really enjoyed it. Sean did a GREAT job holding down the fort. Zachary and I made it through the week at school. It's hard to believe that there are 9 weeks of school left. This year has flown by!


The other "new" thing around our house is our approach to discipline. For the two months or so, it's been frustrating. I called my sister about 3 weeks ago and asked her if she's ever had one of those days that seemed to be nothing but correcting and sending little people to their room. She could relate. Sean and I were seeing some behaviors in our boys that we didn't like and we knew that if we didn't get a handle on it soon, it wasn't going to be pretty in the long run. So...after lots of prayer and talking we discovered a book called "Love and Logic for Preschoolers". It's an easy read and we loved it. It (and a lot more focused prayer from Sean and I) has changed our home. I don't have the time or space to go into all the details right now. The boys are doing so much better. Mom and Dad are doing better. There are so many good ideas and approaches.


I was inspired by this post to be more real. It was SO reassuring to know that we're not the only ones who have frustrating seasons with our boys. One of the ways that Satan really messes with us is to remind us when things are a little crazy and difficult, that our boys are adopted. He whispers the lie that if they were our biological children, it wouldn't be as hard. We get caught up in that lie and begin to doubt what we are doing. It's been so reassuring to know that we struggle just like everyone else who has little ones at home. We remind ourselves that as long as we stay humble and on our knees before the Heavenly Father, He will guide us as their parents.


Here's a little sample of Daniel helping Sean. His singing makes me smile! :)

1 comment:

The Hibbard Family said...

Thank you so much for being so "real." We have struggled immensely in our home, too. God has given me so many tools to keep things running smoothly, and when I slack off, things get nasty. I hear lies, too, that tell me that the root of our problems lies in our decision to homeschool or because I've put time and effort into some of the things God has led me into. Anything to distract us from the truth of God, huh?!

Praying for you all in your "newness." Thanks again for sharing!