Monday, November 8, 2010

There is joy in the morning...

I don't know about anyone else but I LOVE this time of year!  I love the cooler temperatures, the smell of a fire in the fireplace, warm drinks and lots of high school football.  Our community is eaten up with our high school team!  Another aspect of this time of year that I love is the amount of time my boys get to play outside.  Let's be honest...in Texas it is nearly impossible for kids to play outside.  If it's not too hot, the air quality is so bad.

This weekend was one of those perfect weekends when the stars and moon aligned and everyone was being kind, speaking in love and having a blast outside!  I opened the windows, left the back door open and listened to my boys play together.  About an hour into their playtime, something dawned on me.  I was listening to them and I realized that they were coming up with their own games.  They weren't coming to me for help.  They weren't needing me to entertain them...they were totally in control of their play.  I watched them bring trucks outside, dig in the dirt, throw footballs and soccer balls and for the first time in a long time, I watched them enjoy each other.

The more I reflected on the joy of listening to them play together, I started thinking of some other things that I don't have to do anymore.
       *buckle 3 people's seat belts
       *get drinks from the fridge (praise the Lord for a fridge with a water dispenser in the door!)
       *get snacks from the pantry
       *dress anyone but myself
       *carry a bag when we go places
       *clean rooms
       *help little people in the bathroom...no explanation needed!!

Don't get me wrong...I LOVED doing these things when the boys needed me to do them.  I remember all too well the days of heartache and yearning to be a mother.  I also remember the days of thinking that I was loosing my mind!  Having 2 kids come into our family at one time and come to us as toddlers was challenging at times.  To see how much they have grown and become independent made me realize two things.  First, we have done a pretty good job of teaching them how to be independent and responsible for age-appropriate things.  Second, there is joy and comfort knowing that when the next set of parenting challenges come (and they WILL come!) I can look back and know that "this too shall pass"!

So...to my friends with toddlers and new babies just know that when you are feeling overwhelmed, stressed, tired, frazzled and totally consumed with love for your little ones, know that it is true that joy comes in the morning!

No comments: