Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Fearless by Max Lucado

I was so excited when I saw that this book was available to review. I've always been a fan of Max Lucado. I love how he write exactly how I think. Straight to the point. When the book arrived, I knew it was exactly what I was supposed to read at that moment...living a life free of FEAR. Anyone who really knows me, will say that I manage, at times, to take worry and anxiety to new levels. The thought that someone was going to be able to show me how to live without fear was something that I was very ready for.

In this book, Max Lucado presents several different fears that many of us face. He uses real life examples that could easily fit into any of our lives. In the first chapter, Max Lucado sets up the question of "why are we afraid?" Through the story of Jesus being a sleep during a storm, the reader begins to peel away the layers of what is that sets us up for fear. I was moving through the chapter with very little thought to the depth of my fears until I came up against one particular sentence.

"Fear corrodes our confidence in God's goodness. We begin to wonder if love lives in heaven. If God can sleep in our storms, if his eyes stay shut when our eyes grow wide, if he permits storms after we get on his boat, does he care?" (p.9)

My eyes read through these three sentences over and over again. This was exactly how I felt. The question of how God can seem so silent and still when I'm going through storm after storm seemed beyond my comprehension. However, through reading this book and following the journey that Max Lucado takes the reader, I have a better understanding. I walked away from this book with a picture of my Heavenly Father that I had never really seen. I'm ready to begin seeing my life without fear.

Are you?

No comments: