Over the past few months, the Lord has been showing me that one of the blessings of being a parent is the growth that comes from the lessons that our children teach us. I have been humbled by my boys more times than I care to admit. The biggest lesson that the Lord is teaching me through them is what it means to come to the Father as Christ spoke "let the little children come unto me." When Christ spoke of the faith of a child, He wanted His followers to know that it was something to cherish and not rebuke. As we grow into our "adult-like" faith I have found that in my own life, I have forgotten what it means to cling to who God says He is. Short and sweet. As I watch my sons begin to understand who God is and what His Word teaches, I can see how I have lost some of my awe and wonder. Perhaps it's my own laziness or the scars left behind from life's battles but as an adult, my heart can be a little hard. But my sons are so ready to believe and trust that when God's Word says that He hears our every thought and heart cry...He will act right then.
Last night was a night when that lesson came through loud and clear. Daniel and I were enjoying our nightly time of laying in bed talking and laughing together. I told him that we were going to go shopping for a present for his Aunt Aimee and baby Caden. He asked to go with me and I said sure. His next statement caught me off guard a little.
Daniel: Mama, we need a baby at our house.
Me: really? what kind of baby?
Daniel: a sister baby
Me: ok. where will we get one.
Daniel: we can order one from the store.
Me: (giggling a little) well...it doesn't really work that way. babies come from God, not
the store.
I was doing just fine with the conversation until the Lord opened Daniel's heart and mind and the questions went a little deeper.
Daniel: Mama? Can we ask God for a baby?
Me: Sure. Do you want to pray for a baby.
Daniel: Yes. Dear Jesus, please put a baby in mommy's tummy. In Jesus Name, Amen.
Me: Wow, Daniel. That was very sweet.
Daniel: Mama?
Me: Yes?
Daniel: Did God say yes?
Wow. To say that I was a little speechless is an understatement. Did God say yes? My four year old son wanted to know if his Heavenly Father heard his prayer and did He answer it. I tried explaining to Daniel that sometimes God's plan isn't the same as our plan and that His plan is always better. (I did recognize the irony in that statement. Do I believe that all the time!?!)
The next thing out of Daniel's mouth was more than I could handle.
Daniel: Mama? How come God put a baby in Aunt Aimee's tummy so fast?
Me: (silence) Well, it is time for Caden to be born. It is God's plan for baby Caden
to come right now.
I quickly kissed his forehead and left his room. I went straight to my room and fell on my knees. My tears flowed and my heart cried out. This was the first time (of many) that I asked my Lord to speak into my son's heart and reveal Himself in a way that only He can. I don't have answers for Daniel right now. I may never have answers for him. The one thing that I do know is that my sweet little boy is seeking to know and understand who God is. With our conversation last night, he took the first of many steps into a relationship with His Heavely Father. The responsibility of teaching and modeling my walk with the Lord was never more real to me. How can I teach my children to love and trust the Word of God when I'm not living it every single day? How are Daniel and Zachary supposed to know that God is who He says He is and that God can do what He says He can do when I don't have the courage to step out in my own faith?
The one thing that I do know is that last night was the beginning of something new in my life and my home. I am praising God for the lessons that He is teaching this tired, stressed and overwhelmed mommy.
No comments:
Post a Comment