Wednesday, October 14, 2009

To our new 5 year old...

Dear Zachary,

We just left your room after putting you to bed. It's so hard to believe that you are 5 today. Today was a day full of laughter and making some wonderful memories. I will always remember that you choose peanut butter and jelly sandwiches as your birthday dinner. It was not to be without cheetohs and applesauce....all your favorite foods! :) You would eat peanut butter at every meal if I let you! I loved decorating your cake with you. You were very patient as we spread the icing and got the sprinkles ready. My favorite part was watching you lick the spoon and icing tub clean. :)

This past year has been a big one for you. You finished your first year of school. I remember taking you up to the school to register and thinking that you were so small walking into a big building. I prayed so hard that you would love learning. I also prayed that God would give you good friends and a wonderful teacher. He more than answered our prayers. Mrs. Murray captured your heart and set you on a path of wonderful learning. You have grown taller and much stronger. Your daddy loves watching you throw a ball. He still secretly desires that you will take up soccer but I think baseball is in our very near future. You can really swing!

You have grown into a wonderful big brother. You and Daniel have such a special relationship. When you are together, I have seen you guys argue and laugh so hard. You are learning to exert your will but we have also seen you seek forgiveness quickly. You use your imagination in some amazing ways and we never cease to marvel at your problem solving. You are very quick and pick up on things fast...sometimes faster than your daddy and I want you to! :) Your devotion to your family is already so strong. We can see a fierce love for your brother and your daddy and I and it makes our heart sing. God knew what He was doing when He brought us together as a family.

Our greatest joy has been watching you begin talking and asking questions about God. You had your first Sunday in "big church" and you did really well. You were so cute sitting in my lap and whispering questions in my ear. You were really listening and wanting to know what the words meant. You still love to sing and worship. I love listening to you pray. Your daddy and I pray that you will continue seeking your Heavenly Father. We know that He has great and wonderful plans for you.

Zachary, know that your daddy and I are so proud of you and we love you so much. We pray that you will love being 5. We are asking the Lord to be so present in your life this year and that you will grow in knowledge. You are a blessing to us!

We love you,
Mommy and Daddy

1 comment:

Lisa Brown said...

Zachary, you are such a BLESSED little boy to have such wonderful parents. They love you so much...Happy Birthday!