Tuesday, June 26, 2007

What do house alarms and toddlers have in common?

So, I finally have a few minutes to sit in some quiet and put some thoughts down on paper...so to speak! We've had a wonderful two weeks with our boys. We've settled into a pretty good routine and they are responding to it very well. However, it's not been without some excitement.

It all started last Monday morning. We were all home that morning waiting for the boys caseworker to come by for a routine visit. Sean was headed to the shower and I was cleaning up the kitchen after breakfast. The boys were playing nicely. Before going any further you need to know that we have a house alarm. It's nice having it especially with little boys who like to open doors. There is a nice little "ding" when any doors are opened. We also have a key ring piece that let's us arm and disarm the house from the car. That's very handy when there are kids, bags, and other things to get out of the car. On this particular morning, I noticed that Daniel (21 mos) had gotten a hold of Sean's keys. No problem...there isn't much damage that can be done there. WRONG! Suddenly the house alarm starts blaring! I run to the key pad and quickly disarm the house. Apparently there is a panic button on his key ring. In less than 10 minutes of my disarming the house, there is a loud banging on the front door. When I open the door, what do I see but 2 of Fort Worth's Finest...police officers. I do my best to explain that we are fine and safe and that it was the 21 month old who sent off the panic alarm. I don't know if he believed me or not! Thankfully the caseworker got a good laugh out of it!

Friday morning of the SAME WEEK...Daniel starts a runny nose/coughing thing. By Saturday, his nose is producing stuff that is several shades of yellow and his cough is terrible. Of course there are no doctors open on the weekend so we all suffer through until Monday. I took him to the doctor and he has an upper respiratory infection. He did fine at the doctor's office until she wanted to look in his ears.

Needless to say, I think we have been baptized into parenthood. Sometimes I lay in bed at night and wonder...what is in store for us next!! :)

1 comment:

Marc and Charity said...

Oh me! What a week! I don't think I've experienced any of that, except for the doctor stuff! Bless you! It's all funny now, but I KNOW that was not the case then! I'll have to tell you about a few weeks ago when we took Cerys to the doctor for a sonogram on her kidneys. OH LORD HAVE MERCY! 2 yr. old SCREAMING while the doctor, with limited English, was trying to calm her down, but actually scaring her more. Oh me, I was exhausted after that one!